ODH issues guidance on redistributing COVID-19 vaccine doses
On January 15, 2021, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) released COVID-19 Vaccine Redistribution Guidance for enrolled COVID-19 vaccine providers.
The guidance allows enrolled COVID-19 vaccine providers to redistribute or transport vaccines in certain situations in order to avoid vaccine waste, ensure timely vaccine administration, or assist in emergency situations such as a power outage.
COVID-19 vaccine providers should be mindful that:
- Movement of the vaccine is not a recommended practice but is permitted between enrolled providers upon approval by ODH.
- Vaccines should not be moved outside of the county of the originating provider and cannot be moved outside of Ohio.
- ODH approval to move vaccines should be requested using the COVID-19 Vaccine Request of Movement Form.
- Upon approval, providers should use the COVID-19 Vaccine Record of Movement Form to track the transport and inventory transferred.
- Providers must pack and move vaccines in accordance with manufacturer’s guidance.